Blog Week 3

4 ways to navigate different communication styles at work

https://www.atlassian.com/blog/inside-atlassian/how-to-navigate-diverse-communication-styles-at-work


When I think about communication, I realize that I do communicate differently with different groups of people.  I communicate differently with my friends than I do with my co-workers.  I speak differently with parents, in the program I work for, than I do with my family.  I in turn speak differently with people from different cultures.  I do this because I adapt to the situation and group of people I am communicating with.  It does not mean that I am disrespecting anyone, or applying a bias.  I use different communication styles and techniques with the different people I speak with because they all have different cultures and are different individually within those cultures.  Depending upon the group, person, or situation, I use different body language, facial expressions, words, and phrases.  For example, the conversations I have with staff at work are from a professional stand point, I am their supervisor.  I am not going to discuss with them intimate details of my private life, or use slang when I am speaking with them.  However, when I talk with my friends, I might use slang, exaggerated body language, and talk about things I would not talk about at work.  I adapt to the situation, the group of people, and the topic of discussion.  

Three strategies I could use to help me communicate more effectively include, the Platinum Rule, treating people how they want to be treated, becoming other-oriented, and reading cues.  I feel focusing on these strategies will assist me in becoming a better communicator.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sharing Web Resources (week 4)

Resources

Completing the Journey