Practicing Awareness of Microaggressions

        Microaggressions occur throughout many interactions.  I observed several when my oldest daughter visited.  They were directed toward my younger, teenage daughter and were not meant to harm her, but they did none the less.  The microinsults and microinvalidations were said in jest, but you could see the impact on my youngest daughter’s face.  She was hurt by them and quickly tried to hide that she was hurt.  When I observed this, I began to hurt for her.  I did not realize what the impact was on my daughter.  I did not know how to respond before now.  I have a better understanding of what to watch for now.  So, it is more prevalent in the observations and experiences I have.  Experiencing them myself this week, I have become more vocal in identifying them towards the person who has made the microagression.  I am pointing them out and holding the person responsible for what they have said.  It is uncomfortable but necessary.


               My observations this week have opened my eyes to the effects of discrimination, prejudice, and/or stereotypes on people.  I observe more happening than I would like to admit and am surprised at the amount that actually takes place.  I have observed individuals who state they are not racist make microinsults that are racist.  I understand that most of these comments are unintentional, however, they have tremendous effects on the individuals who receive them.  As Sarah Margles and Rabbi Miriam Margles stated, “No one is born racist but no one born into this society is immune to its distortions, interwoven into all aspects of life” (2010, p.1).  As parts of this society, everyone needs to make a concerted effort to improve upon our communication with others.  Everyone needs to take responsibility for the phrases they speak and the actions they take in order to overcome the effects of discrimination, prejudice, and/or stereotypes on people.  


https://columbuspride.org/pridepledge/

Margles, S., & Margles, R. M. (2010). Inverting racism's distortions. Our Schools/Our Selves, 19(3), 137--149.

Comments

  1. Hi Rebecca,
    Great Post! I will admit it is shocking how many experiences of microaggression you notice once you actually think about. Some phrases and things that I have heard my whole life are examples of microaggressions but I was not aware of those implications until this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Rebecca,

    In my experience, nothing hurts us more than hurt directed to our children! I am sad with you over the microaggressions you observed toward your daughter. Like you, before this section of the course, I didn't have a name for the subtle insults -intentional or well-meaning. It is powerful to be able to put a name on a problem. I want to figure out how to deal graciously and courageously with the perpetrators when I hear these happen to me or to those around me. We need to act as defenders and supporters of ourselves and others while somehow not falling into the same aggression in retaliation. I would love to hear how you figured this out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julia,
      I had a conversation with my younger daughter about the things my older daughter said to her. We discussed that they were not ok, even in a joking manner. I will also be talking to my older daughter, very delicately.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sharing Web Resources (week 4)

Resources

Completing the Journey